Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A dare for something different


Do you hate it when you watch a horror film and you can guess who will die next? I do. I hate it when movies and books are predictable. Just like you should write what you know and what you love, you should also not do the things you hate. That can be easier said then done. I sometimes notice myself falling into the world of predictable scenes. A great way to prevent this is to do something different and unique.


When I’m stuck on a scene, I write out the options available for my character. Don’t go with the obvious. Of course it is important to be consistent with your character’s arc but I don’t think everything has to be obvious. It is the same way in life. I hate flying. I have no reason to, I just never have liked it. So, did it surprise my family when I chose to go up on a floatplane ride this past week at the lake house? Oh, yes it did!


And better yet…I’m alive to tell you about the thrilling experience. As you come in to land on water in floatplane it all seems to cut it a little close, but the landing was smooth. Sometimes the best thing for our plot is a little unpredictability. It also is good for us out in the real world away from pages of the make believe.


Announcements:


If you have been following me on Twitter, then you know my growing excitement for Shark Week. Yes, it is an addiction. As a lead up, Discovery Channel has a live web cam in the World’s largest shark tank. You watch sharks 24/7 and it is a great writing break. Enjoy it, if you dare!


If you’ve read my book ‘Caring for Your Special Needs Dog,’ then you know that I love to include a lot of different dog owner’s experiences in my books. I am gearing up for research for my next dog non-fiction. The topic will focus on intergrading your dog with a young child and how to make the relationship work for both of them. If you feel that you might have something to add to my research, then I’d love to speak with you. Email me at NatalieCMarkey@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment