Friday, May 27, 2011

The cure to the dreaded writer’s block


A common discussion that I see among writers on social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, is the oh so dreaded writer’s block. First of all, let me tell you—THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS WRITER’S BLOCK! I do not believe in writer’s block. I believe in setting your mind to the task of writing and it will come. Whenever I’m stumbling with a scene, I simply move on or switch projects. When I go back to the troublesome scene I see that it wasn’t the scene, just my mindset at the moment.

Only you can find your own answer to curing “writer’s block.” Mine? Exercise. Yes, I have deadlines, a baby, a high maintenance dog and a husband who has a limited selection in his cooking repertoire BUT I schedule time for my fitness. It’s amazing what an hour in the gym can do to my mind. I also make time to laugh. Put something humorous around your work station. The attached picture is something I found in my Grandfather's office after he passed away. It never fails to make me laugh.

I also love to love on my dog, Oscar. Taking a few minutes off to hug and play with him is another great way that I clear my mind. Recently, fellow dog author, Amy Shojai wrote on the health benefits of having a dog. She focused on actual health conditions such as high blood pressure but I know that Oscar helps me with my stress. To read Amy’s article click here.

What do you do to limit your stress during a deadline rush? How do you battle with “writer’s block,” if you even believe it exists?


Announcements:


“Caring for Your Special Needs Dog” is available at the affordable price of $2. 99 on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. A percentage of the profits go to The Texas A&M Foundation to the benefit of the Neurology Section, Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinarian Medicine. For more information on “Caring for Your Special Needs Dog” click here.


Obviously, I love dogs. My fellow #MyWANA member, author James Rollins is holding a fundraiser over at his blog that will benefit The Humane Society of America. It’s fun and easy. Help spread the word of his upcoming novel, “The Devil Colony” by buying fun merchandise and ALL the proceeds go to benefit The Humane Society of America. It’s a win-win people!


No comments:

Post a Comment