Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What do authors do on release day?

Between long nights of writing, endless plotting and research, all writers deserve a break when they finally get that so sought after release day. Wrong. At least that is how it was for me. With the dawn of social media came even more "jobs" that writers must do other than write. Yesterday when my non-fiction “Caring for Your Special Needs Dog” came out I went to work with promotion. It is one thing to write a book but if no one reads it, then that hard work will go unappreciated.

In addition to promotion, I still have been writing. Obviously, “Caring for Your Special Needs Dog” is out of my hands but I’m all ready on to the next project. I’m currently revising my young adult fantasy and beginning research for the next book in my non-fiction series.

What other “jobs” do authors have? We’re also managers, accountants, janitors, etc. How do I make the time to do it all, while raising my daughter and dog Oscar, who you all have figured out by now is high-maintenance? Read my previous post on how to be your own staff.

Managing a writing business is not easy but it’s a way of life that I love and thrive on. Writing is a lifestyle, a way of life that we writers crave.

I support the idea of celebrating the milestones and victories of being an author, such as the fabulous release day. For me though, I celebrated the day my galley was in my hands. Now, I’m in full promotion mode and working on the next thing. I will say though, I did my little *happy dance* when I searched my name in Amazon and my book popped up!

What do you do or will you do to celebrate a book release? Will you celebrate on release day or when the book is out of your hands?

Announcements:

My non-fiction, “Caring for Your Special Needs Dog” published by Who Dares Wins Publishing is now available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. A percentage of the profits go to The Texas A&M Foundation to the benefit of the Neurology Section, Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinarian Medicine. For more information click here.

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. I have nothing to release YET (see my optimism?) but I can't wait. Even so, yes, writers are more than just, well, writing. We do it all--editor, marketeer, adviser, critique, friend and cheerleader. Now, just like you said, toss in our "real" jobs and how do we seem to manage? We do, because we love writing. We make time.

    I'm a dog lover (proud owner of an Australian Shepherd) and I admire you greatly. To have a dog with special needs, some people wouldn't stick around to care for that kind of pet. People tend to place very little value on animals, calling them replaceable--a dime a dozen. But their not. Their one of a kind. Even crazy cats :)

    Kudos to you. He looks so cute. Best wishes to you and your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos on release day Natalie! We are all over the place all of the time. Kind of like a newspaper with all of the same madness. It's a wonder we have any sanity left with all of the 'need to do' tasks in a given day let alone release day.

    ReplyDelete