Friday, October 21, 2011

The energy you crave may be easier found from your children then your coffee cup

The other day when I was playing with my daughter I thought again what every parent thinks all the time, “how can I can bottle that endless energy?” She has so much of it and is so full of life. Just think how easy writing would be if I had THAT much energy. Then something amazing happened. After crawling around in her princess tent and finally putting her down for a nap I returned to my office to find that I did have more energy. Her energy is, in a way contagious!


Have you found this too? I do find that through actively playing with my daughter and really enjoying her laughs that I too become more active and energetic. The energy is contagious and I can use it to help along my writing. Plus, what great parenting!


Lately I’ve been revising my current manuscript by storyboarding it through Alexandra Sokoloff’s process from her book “Screenwriting Tricks for Authors.” I did a version of a storyboard before writing my novel but find that this is also a great way to double check the plot and character arcs. It is also fun to crawl around on the floor and of course I’m getting a lot of help from my toddler and dog. I just have to watch my manuscript closely or my “all goes to hell” scene may end up during a “romantic” scene by way of sticky fingers or paw!


Bottom line, if you are a writing mom the energy you crave may be easier found from your children than your coffee cup. They also crave your attention. Go spend time with them and see the benefits in your manuscript.


Happy Friday and Happy Writing!!


Announcements:


The 2012 Write-It-Forward Workshop schedule is up. Take a look at the fantastic line-up including back by popular demand, Writing Moms (March 2012) and the new Time Management for the Busy Writer (October 2012) in time for NANOWRIMO both by Natalie C. Markey.


A percentage of the profits from Markey’s ‘Caring for Your Special Needs Dog’ go to The Texas A&M Foundation to the benefit of the Neurology Section, Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinarian Medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment