Friday, October 14, 2011

The out-of-town-writing-mom

It is inevitable. Working moms sometimes have to travel and sometimes we are lucky enough to include our little ones along on such a trip. I am not using the word “lucky” sarcastically because I am a huge fan of merging business and family.


This weekend I am from Arkansas to Houston with my husband, daughter and of course my dog, Oscar. For work I will be going to the North Houston RWA Lone Star Writers Conference on Saturday where I will get to hear screenwriter Alexandra Sokoloff speak and meet with some agents.


On Sunday I will be attending The Texas Renaissance Festival with my family and reviewing it for Examiner.com. But on Friday and the evenings I will get to spend time and visit family. Eager grandparents will get to see my daughter and I will have no problem cranking out some extra pages while an aunt or uncle chases after my running toddler.


Mixing out-of-town-work with family fun will not only get you closer to your goal but it can also show your dedication to your family. Share your story with them. Let them in on those exciting plot twists. Let them feel part of this amazing journey that you are part of.


Being a writing mom is a challenge. When visiting family, let them play with your baby. They will be happy to play with a baby they rarely see and you will be happy to finally finish that scene.


A percentage of the profits from Markey’s ‘Caring for Your Special Needs Dog’ go to The Texas A&M Foundation to the benefit of the Neurology Section, Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinarian Medicine.

2 comments:

  1. You'll be less than a couple of hours from me! I've been to the Renaissance Festival several times, but not recently. I'm hoping to go this year. Be sure to have a turkey leg; they are amazing! I hope you can post a link to the Examiner article in the future. Have a great trip! I hope we can have some nice weather for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For you Julie!

    http://www.examiner.com/budget-events-in-houston/texas-renaissance-festival-delivers-again-review

    ReplyDelete