Friday, March 9, 2012

The Airplane Theory to being a great writer

How many of you actually listen to what the flight attendants say before take off? Or are you busy rummaging around in your purse and carryon looking for that gum your just purchased?

I used to hate to fly but throughout my professional career as I’ve had to do it more often by myself, I’ve grown to love it. It gives me time to myself when I can catch up with a good book or get ahead on a deadline or daily word count. I also am guilty to say that I really never listened to those safety instructions until I was by myself. You may recall when they talk about the oxygen masks and how they will fall from the ceiling if the cabin pressure drops that you are instructed that if traveling with a child, secure your mask before assisting the child.

Hopefully none of us ever have to experience such a scenario, but there is a lot that we can learn from these important instructions that so many ignore. It’s easy, especially as a parent to want to put others first. We want to take care of our baby. It’s our nature. However, if you aren’t taking care of you, what kind of care are you giving your baby? What kind of quality of work are you putting into that article or manuscript? Did you actually put laundry detergent in the dishwasher?

You get the idea. In order to create/maintain a productive writing career as a writing mom, you need to put yourself first. This includes fitness and mental health. Through routine exercise you will see that not only does it help you feel good but it also will improve the kind of mother you are and the kind of writing you are.

Most of the time, writing moms are trying to think about both aspects of their lives as separate pieces to their lives. You don’t have to. You can have it all but don’t forget to look out for you! And this method isn’t just for writing moms but all busy writers. Do you have a day job? Care for a parent? Juggling multiple contracts? Whatever your situation may be, take a lesson from The Airplane Theory.

Blog shout outs:

T.E.A.M. – Everyone Achieves More by author Kristen Lamb

You Can Have it All, but Can You Do it All? By author Jen Talty

Embrace Your Flaws by author Kate Wood

1 comment:

  1. I don't listen to the flight attendent anymore. I fly a lot so I have it a bit memorized - I think. Maybe next time I'll listen closer.

    ReplyDelete