Thursday, April 22, 2010

No Better Motivation then an Upcoming Birth

Motivation. That is the one word that all writers seek. The idea or thing that really gets you working on that article/manuscript and keeps you on the word doc and off of Facebook. For me right now that motivation is the upcoming birth of my first child. I like order and organization in my life and I'm smart enough to know that EVERYTHING is about to change. It already has since I've been so sick throughout the pregnancy. Now thanks to bed rest (off and on) I'm making the most of my doctor's orders and pressing forward to finish my YA. I can see that beautiful light at the end of the tunnel and look forward to hitting the final 'send' to get my last email query out to agents. My goal is to get this done so that I will have the wonderful satisfaction of feeling complete (with this manuscript) before my baby arrives. Plus what a better way to not suffer from the dreaded waiting game then to have a newborn to care for! I also will then finally be able to begin working on my middle grade novel series that won't stay out of my head! In fact its been in my head off and on since I was in junior high. Persistence is finally going to pay-off for that character but I need to finish one project and have a baby first! Don't worry little guy...your time will come soon!

As for all you other writers out there; find your motivation. From the past almost decade of freelancing the best way to not enjoy this job is to suffer from lack of motivation. We've all been there. You're on a deadline and just nothing is feeling right to you. In fact, one of my least favorite articles ended up receiving some of the best praise. At the time I though, "really?" My mind was on everything but that article at the time I wrote it and I really just pushed through and got it done. However, when I look back at it now I do admit that it was a good article. Now I'm in no way advocating for you to go out there and just write even if you are not enjoying it but the truth is that sometimes we do have to just get through it. But if you can tap into your motivation then you will always remember the love for this craft and industry and you will make great things happen. At least that's what my plan is. So enjoy this early post because now I'm off to my word document for a day of revisions!

No comments:

Post a Comment