Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Always Learning Something New

Writers are lucky. We are like professional students since we are always learning something new. At least that's how I feel. I'll never be an "expert." There is always something that I can learn from an online writing class, a conference, or a professional writing group. My best advice, surround yourself with people who know this craft. That's what I'm doing and so far it seems to be helping.

When I began writing my YA novel I knew I could write and I knew (or thought at least) that I had a great idea but I didn't have the slightest clue on how to get into this business. And even though I'm a published freelancer with magazines both local and national I'm still not a published fiction writer but I'm getting closer with each step that I take. And I'm able to say this because of the situations that I've put myself in.

I joined my local RWA chapter almost a year ago. OK, I'm not a romance writer and I can't see myself going in that direction even though I adore the Blackdagger Brotherhood series! After looking into local writing groups and meeting the Chapter President at the time, Kimberly Frost I knew that RWA was for me. Why? Well, these women were making things happen. They weren't just sitting around talking about their dreams of becoming a publish author, most of them were! Like most professional writing groups, we have speakers come in to teach workshops. That's how I met Laurie Schnebly Campbell. Since then I've taken several of her online classes and have found them to make a huge difference in my fiction writing.

I've learned that feature story writing is a different animal from fiction and hearing her advice along with the dialogue amongst the other students has made me a better writer. Now, I just have to get through these revisions, finish my synopsis and submit to agents. But it's because of what I'm doing now, who I'm surrounding myself with that I know I will make it. I will look forward to the day when I can post an announcement on this blog that I'm a published author!! Until then, I'm back to work. Hmmm.. I may squeeze in an hour break tonight for Idol!!

No comments:

Post a Comment