Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Perks of the Freelance Journalist

OK, so my last entry I introduced you to some of the downsides of being a freelance writer. Today I'm going to tell you about the perks! Oh, and there are so many! First of all I love the flexibility. If I need to run errands during the day I can. If I want to go out to lunch with friends, I can do that as well. What really matters at the end of the day or week is did I meet my goals and deadlines? If the answer is yes then I'm doing my job!

Another, perk is that you can own your topic of expertise. For example, as the Houston Budget Event Examiner I need to go to Houston area events so that I can accurately report about it. With this I get a lot of free passes or invites to local events. If I do have to pay for something then it's a tax write off because this is my business. It's fun to get out and meet people in the "event" circle. As I continue to build and foster such relationships I find that I have to dig for material to write about less and less.

So, if I left you on a down and frustrated note with my last blog entry this should perk you up and create more interest in what I feel to be an ideal job.

No comments:

Post a Comment