Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Writer Training: Setting the right pattern

The end of this week I will start teaching my second workshop of Writing Moms: How to do it all without losing your mind with Write It Forward Workshops. It's true that there are many different time management techniques for busy writing moms but in truth it comes down to one thing, training.


One of many many hats that I wear is my non-fiction dog writer. This month I've been thinking a lot about training since it is National Dog Training Month (and here I insert my shameless promotion for my Special Needs Dog Care column.) Really training goes hand and hand with structure and time management. Are you setting the correct pattern?


The first step is to get your butt into the chair, on the couch, in bed--wherever you chose to write. Are you doing that? After I had my daughter, it was difficult to get back into the routine but you will see that if you JUST DO IT the words will start to flow and then you will find that rythym again.


It is difficult to find motivation sometimes as a writer, especially if you are a writing mom. Everyone has something better or else that they would rather be doing than writing words that may never see the light of day. Push through those insecurities and keep at it! Keeping to the pattern, finding your pattern is what leads to greatness.


So, how are you setting and finding the right pattern for you? I'm giving away a spot this week to my March workshop of Writing Moms. Just comment on my blog for a chance to enter. To sign-up for the workshop and for more information click here.


Announcements:


I had some great opportunities to guest blog for some great author’s and friends this month.


The ever-changing writing process at author Colin Falconer’s blog


Finding Inspiration from Unlikely Sources at author Kristen Lamb’s blog


Being a flexibly, trained writer at author Rachel Harris’ blog


February is National Dog Training Month. For helpful tips on training the furry friends in your life follow my Examiner column, Special Needs Dog Care.


Who Dares Wins Publishing offers fantastic writing craft and industry Write it Forward Workshops. Be sure and check them all out here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'll leave a comment.:) I used to be so organized, a few children ago. Now, I'm homeschooling kid #5 (8) and kid #6 (10) while kid #2 lives here with his wife and 2 yo and baby on the way and kid #3 lives here too. The older ones are in college and working so that leaves me to cook and shop for us all. And I have 3 dogs, 2 cats and 2 gerbils. I often get up at 3:30 or 4 am but I still struggle to get my list complete for the day. Oh-dark-hundred is also not my best writing time but it is literally the only quiet time I have. :) things should calm down in a year as they finish college and move back out, but hanging on for another year and getting a consistent schedule is intimidating.

    ReplyDelete